Hive #1 - The Warre' Hive (installed 2015)

Hive #1 - The Warre' Hive

In 2015, this was our first hive.  It's a modified Warre', in that it has partial frames on the bars.  This was the only hive we had survive through the winter of 2015.  It's been thriving since.  It swarmed once, in 2016 and we actually caught that swarm, retrieving the original Queen.

Hive #2 - The (Kenyan) Top Bar Hive (reinstalled 2016)

Hive #2 - The (Kenyan) Top Bar Hive

Jeff installing the topbars, between the follower boards, into the horizontal topbar hive.
The Horizontal Top Bar Hive seems to be our healthiest and most active of the three surviving colonies.

Hive #3 - Modified Langstroth - Spawn of Warre' (2016 Swarm)

Hive #3 - Modified Langstroth

After much research, and considerable influence by Master Beekeeper, Michael Bush, this hive we decided to go with all medium Langstroth boxes, but went 10-frame hive bodies/boxes and foundationless frames.

Spawn of Warre' hive (actually, it would be the mother of the Warre new queen ... but you get the picture.)

This colony is actually the swarm from our Warre' hive we managed to catch.  Fortunately, the swarm landed in one of our pine trees, approximately 9 - 10' off the ground - about 15 yards from the original hive.  So, we setup a few boxes under the main cluster, and when when we hit the branch, they all fell right into the prospective (well prepared) new home.

 

2017 Russian Queen/Addition #1

This year, we've added two more hives.  Both are of Russian stock and we'll be using 10-frame foundationless Langstroth hives.

2017 New Russians #2

2017 Russian Queen/Addition #2

This year, we've added two more hives.  Both are of Russian stock and we'll be using 10-frame foundationless Langstroth hives.

2017 New Russians #1